Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Valve Retainer Hairline Crack

Doing a routine valve adjustment and noticed a small hairline crack in one of the exhaust valve retainers. Has anyone experienced something like this? I'm guessing that it would be a good idea to do a compression check and or a leak down on the engine to see if there is any valve damage? Any other advice? Engine is a 2.2E built to S specs. Has anyone experienced a retainer cracking due to material failure or is it usually a result of an over-rev with valve piston contact. If things check out with the valve, is it possible to replace the retainer without dropping the motor? Special spring compressor tool?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Removing the valve spring with the motor in place is commonly done. A spark plug adapter hooked to an air compressor keeps the valves in place.

I have seen a tool specifically designed for 911s to remove the valve spring with the cam still in place.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-25-2016, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Gordon, Thanks for the reply. Hope to do a compression test this weekend. If it passes. Then time to replace the retainer. Any idea of the manufacturer of that spring compressor? Looks like some use the case studs as a fixture.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just purchased the valve spring compressor ( intake) from our host. I have the heads removed from the cam tower but I don't see how it will work with the head separated
from the tower. Anyone?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
It won't work without the cam carrier attached since it mounts on the valve cover studs. It's a great tool and about the only way to remove the springs with the engine in the car but does not work on a bare head.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Does our host sell this particular unit? I'd love to be able to swap out the retainer without a partial tear down.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

abides.

Garage
Pel-tol-p7e
Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Graham, Thanks. Was wondering if that was the correct one. Looks like a easy tool to use.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I am my 911's PO

Garage
Be aware there are 2 tools. One for intake and another for exhaust.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I saw that. It's the exhaust side I'm concerned about, but I'll probably get both to keep in the toolbox.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: