Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

964 Intermediate Shaft Bearings

After all the controversy about using genuine bearings vs Non genuine, I ordered a set of Gen Porsche Int Shaft bearings for my rebuild..

Only opened the bags last night.. and they are different! One has a square shoulder, the other is quite bevelled.. The old ones from my engine, are both bevelled.

The square one fits, and I guess has more surface area in contact with the shaft..

Should I use it? or send back and use a matching pair...

Also, because I am stoopid, I ordered not enough of the small o rings for the oil pump.
I think I did read somewhere of people re using these seals.. how "wrong" would that be?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

They look correct. There are two different shaft bearings. One has a shoulder the other does not. they are PN 996 101 137 80 & 996 101 435 70.
You have the engine torn all the way down. Don't short a good rebuild just to save some bucks or time. Buy the new seal.
Good luck
Old 09-05-2016, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, I've used the old seals several times with no problems. These seals are tightly captured between the recess in the case and the recess in the pump, so they can't go any where. If they are hard and brittle, toss them. But if pliable, why not reuse. I suppose you could measure their thickness, and then measure what their thickness would be when the pump is assembled into the case, and compare. As long as their relaxed state is larger than the will be when compressed, they should be good. And you can compare thickness with the new ones, for that matter.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Lucky for me, the local porsche shop had a spare he let me use.. saved waiting for another...

thanks for the reply.
Mike.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: