Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 fuel injector line leak

I'm getting a small leak where the injector line connects to the top of the injector. It's coming out between the injector line and the top of the nut that secures it to the injector. Is there any type of sealant to use there? Do I replace the entire line?
Old 09-05-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No Sealant, please!

Please find the reason for that. Usually reason will be rust or damaged Surface. If one of the surfaces is damaged you have to exchange the part. do not risk to burn the car in saving few $$$.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Post a pic. If you are talking about the rail, it could just be the oring was pinched on install or gave way. +1 no sealant, that is just crazy.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 09-06-2016, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm referring to the steel injector lines from the fuel head to the injectors. It's not leaking gas. I'm getting a slight 3rd gear, above 5K miss. When I spray carb cleaner at the top of the nut at the injectors, #1&#2, the rpm increases slightly for a few seconds then drops back down.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Harold, I wonder if that would indicate the injector block is loose and/or cracked and allowing air to enter?

Regardless, I've use this to seal troublesome fuel fittings, including putting a little of it on crush washers - works great for sealing against gasoline.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I switched to the TK aluminum blocks and sent the injectors out last year. It's definately where the line goes into the top of the nut. That's the only area I can spray on the left side of the motor. When I loosen the nut the fuel will start to seep out the top.
When I connect the lines I need to move them into place, vs lining up over the injector. I'm wondering if I should lightly tweek the line around so it lines up over the injector.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is probably not seating quite right in top of the injector. What I would do is remove the line from the injector and have a close look at the seat on the end of the line. Make sure no rust spot, crud, score. If you wanted you could lightly polish if with very fine wet/dry - finest grade - 1200. Just to clean the surface. Same with injector top - but you don't want any of that fine stuff going into injector - tip upside down and spray area clean with brake kleen or similar. But you could leave injector alone if surface looks perfect.Then fit injector, put line back on injector and tweek down til just snugs. Finger tight. Then tweek the line gently back forth, L-R and see if it seats any better, snug nut down gently again. It should seat itself where it needs to be. Just nip it down in a couple of stages and allow it to find its way to the ideal seat.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I cleaned the injector line fitting, and nudged it around as I was tightening the bolt, it still leaks. A "P" buddy suggested that the line may be cracked. Since 1&2 are leaking and I can't test 3 I decided to replace all three lines. As luck would have it, #1&#3 are available and #2 is nla from Porsche. I bought a used set with a money back guarantee. So I'll see what happens. If I can find a new #2 line I'll buy it.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When you go to mate the line to the injector, slide the nut up the line and see how the end fitting wants to sit in the injector head. It should be nice and square, flush, even. It may be the line end has been tweeked slightly . Try and orient it so it is sitting as comfortably as it can be, then slide the nut down and proceed as above for nipping it down. I have had the occasional ones that have done this too. Always been able to rectify them. Don't try tightening the s...t out of them - not necessary for a good seating and likely to distort/damage something on the mating surface.
Alan
Sorry - the posts crossed.
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I tried that also. I tweaked the line around so the nut started to thread with no side pressure, and checked the spacing between the line and nut to make sure the line was centered and not pushed to one side.
The leak started with around 13K miles on the motor. I replaced the stock injector blocks with TK aluminum ones, and had the injectors cleaned and tested. I put it back together and all was good for a few thousand miles, then started leaking again. All the nut were tight. If it were the right side of the motor I'd keep playing with it. The left side is such a pain I figured I'd just replace them.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Just to post my recent experience:

If I drop the injectors in first, I noticed too much of gap at injector to rail mating fitment. I guess I could have pulled up on the injectors until the locks clicked in. But I decided to place the injectors in the rails, taking a close look at the orings are properly seated, insure the locks are proper then placed the whole assembly on, seated the injectors and bolted down. It seemed to work for me I just made a round trip to Pismo Beach, no issues.

+1 D-side is a real PITA.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 09-07-2016, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I had injectors leaking once. I am fairly certain they simy didn't mate properly with the fuel line. Change the injectors, leak was gone.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 09-07-2016, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: