Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
What do you think about these here parts?

Tearing into my motor and wanted to get some opinions. 77 930 case with 83 SC pistons and heads (best i can tell from looking at it). All head studs are dilivar and 3 uppers broken. Hence the engine is out.

1st question: These look like ARP rod bolts or something else?

Cylinders have 10 fins. I can't really seem to see the hash marks on the walls unless i look below the ring travel areas. Does the 10 fin count ensure these are Alusil?

Does this look like something i can just reuse or do i need to do some work to them? Can you hone Alusil or no? I have seen conflicting stories here and i'm not sure what i should do.

Last question, is there a way to determine what crankshaft i might have? or are there even many differences besides the direction the dizzy turns and the number of flywheel bolts?

I'm only able to work on this a couple hours a week so its slow going but i'll try to get a better look at the rest of the cylinders and pistons soon. Just wanted to get an opinion from someone that has seen the insides of these motors before.
'13 Volvo XC60 (hers)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The turbo cases were built with all dilivars
The cylinders look too bright to be alucil, check them with a magnet although they could have been redone in nikisil.
I don't like to build with scratches.
Crank for the case is 2.4/2.7, six bolt flywheel
You might consider putting the case up for sale because they bring some crazy money now days.
You can tell which crank you have by measuring the bearing surfaces.
The 2.0/2.2 crank the mains and rods are the same size
The 2.4/2.7 crank, the rod journals are smallest than the mains.
Bruce
Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
You can't determine the brand of the rod bolts by simply looking at the nuts.
They are Alusil cylinders and reusing Alusil cylinder is always a gamble. Those look especially rough.
There is an easy way to identify 6 bolts cranks by simply looking a the flywheel flange. Both 66mm (2.0-2.2) and 70.4mm (2.4-2.7) cranks have 6 flywheel mounting bolts but the 66mm crank has 2 plugged oil galley holes and the 70.4 crank only has one.

BTW: If you plan to actually drive your car/engine, get rid of the Dilivar.

Of course I recommend Supertec head stud but there are many to choose from. The best selling studs at Pelican Parts are Supertec.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 09-17-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Thanks for the crankshaft info. I've got one oil galley hole so it looks like a 70.4mm stroke crank. That would make it likely from the 77 930 that supplied the case I would assume. Or are you saying it could be from a 2.7 as well?

While I didn't go with SuperTec studs, I did go the aftermarket route.
'13 Volvo XC60 (hers)

Last edited by pampadori; 09-19-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Old 09-18-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The case will have 930 casting numbers on the side so the head studs spacing will be for a 3.0.
901 casting numbers would be for a magnesium case
Bruce
Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: