Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I don't see where anyone condescended him......

If anything I think people are trying to prevent him from screwing up his own motor.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Post number 6 is not condescending? I don"t see green font. I am not a troll, nor do I wish to be.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I would expect an ARP stretch gauge to be a decent standard micrometer and have an uncertainty in the order of 7-10 microns.

However, if you buy any measuring instrument that is 'uncalibrated' then in real terms the data that you generate is simply an expression of belief or faith that it has been manufactured correctly and operate within its specification.

In absolute terms any device that is used without a valid calibration certificate should be considered suspect.

It the world of aerospace and the majority other areas of activity where lives are at risk and Insurance Liability Cover is in place using uncalibrated measuring devices is always considered unacceptable.

If there is no record of measurements and no traceability of measuring devices then in the event of a significant accident liability will normally attach.

I do realise this sounds serious but having spent the majority of my adult life designing, manufacturing and selling material and component Test Equipment that was always supported by Internationally recognised calibration certificates it is an important issue.

Stretching con rod bolts may not seem serious but what happens when an engine throws a rod on the race track and someone spins on the resulting oil slick - not so funny if they are injured.

I am not really suggesting we all spend huge sums of money calibrating measuring equipment but we do need to try to understand the limits of the equipment we use on a day to day basis and use it in an appropriate manner.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Professional, concise , informative, and accurate. nuff said.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickyd View Post
Post number 6 is not condescending? I don"t see green font. I am not a troll, nor do I wish to be.
Post 6 was me.

I see it how I read it.

No disrespect was implied.

I own a professional business doing this work. This is how I feed my family. I come on here and give what advice I can as others do, for free!!

We assume that when someone has an issue and gets free advice, that they at least are using common sense when looking for what we suggest they look for.

You can't make sense out of nonsense.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Post 6 was me.

I see it how I read it.

I own a professional business doing this work. This is how I feed my family. I come on here and give what advice I can as others do, for free!!

We assume that when someone has an issue and gets free advice, that they at least are using common sense when looking for what we suggest they look for.

I own a business also, and it is also how I feed my family. You offer your advise for free but actually you are demonstrating your knowledge in your area of profession in hopes of securing more business in a forum of potential clients. the fact that there are owners of these fine cars that do not possess your experience or technical prowess, myself included, is the reason your family is well fed. All i am saying is , you are doing yourself a disservice with your lack of tact. you would never see this conduct from a Mr Weiner, A Mr Fricke , a Mr Henry or may I dare say the late Mr Clay. I say this with respect and wish you and your family prosperity.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Was just reading about this over at practicalmachinist.com

Experts sometimes use dial calipers and trust the results to 0.0005

They would trust someone with less experience using the same tool down to 0.003

Inches!

One time at the airport, TSA confiscated my HF calipers. I said what am I going to do? Measure the airplane?
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Post 6 was me.

I see it how I read it.

Neil, your help is appreciated. Bickyd your support is also appreciated.

Neil, my skin is pretty thick. Not telling you what to say or do, but tone is hard to read on the internet. Lots of folks on here do/ask questions that may be silly on the face of it. Tact never hurts...

In the end, we each help each other out.

Part of being on this board, and most other boards, is the camaraderie and "shooting the breeze." Its a mix of getting answers, socializing, and humor. The technical aspect is just part of it.

Kumbaya...

Bo

Last edited by bpu699; 09-26-2017 at 01:11 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I own a business also, and it is also how I feed my family. You offer your advise for free but actually you are demonstrating your knowledge in your area of profession in hopes of securing more business in a forum of potential clients. the fact that there are owners of these fine cars that do not possess your experience or technical prowess, myself included, is the reason your family is well fed. All i am saying is , you are doing yourself a disservice with your lack of tact. you would never see this conduct from a Mr Weiner, A Mr Fricke , a Mr Henry or may I dare say the late Mr Clay. I say this with respect and wish you and your family prosperity.

Are you campaigning to be a moderator?

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
Are you campaigning to be a moderator?
No. I am Canadian.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

OK, I'm going to ask a stupid question.

Digital calipers are not that accurate, relatively speaking. But when measuring rod bolt stretch, is the absolute measurement really important? I'd think that what's important is the ability to measure the difference between the non-stretched and stretched states of a rod bolt. I understand that .005-.0010" is a typical amount of stretch to be measured in a rod bolt. Wouldn't a digital caliper do that and give repeatable results, given a suitable fixture to hold the bolt and the digital caliper?

Scott
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
No. I am Canadian.

Join the club, hoser. Born and raised in Toronto here!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
I have a huge amount of respect for the knowledge base on this board. Individuals who have had the fortune to acquire a base of knowledge many of us will never achieve. The intestinal fortitude and bloodied hands to obtain this level of acuity is commendable to the highest degree but I must state those of us who come here for guidance do not deserve condescension. This is one of the few places where the level of maturity and knowledge sets the bar for all other sites imho, and any comment to the contrary is merely self serving and arrogant. The individual who posted had and has genuine intent and in my opinion is beyond reproach.
Dan.
I genuinely thought bpu was trolling us. My 1st post was typed with uncertainty if he was trying to act as a jokester or totally serious.

If there were rigid fingers on the caliper, I would have thought a genuine effort, but the bent soft rivets attached with paper clips seemed like he was trolling us.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
Join the club, hoser. Born and raised in Toronto here!
Bell bottoms, big blues, a mack jacket, and daytons with blakeys man! If your that old..... Lol. Thanks. I could never do the kiss boots....

Old 09-26-2017, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Lol!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
100% Canadian Beef

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
I genuinely thought bpu was trolling us. My 1st post was typed with uncertainty if he was trying to act as a jokester or totally serious.

If there were rigid fingers on the caliper, I would have thought a genuine effort, but the bent soft rivets attached with paper clips seemed like he was trolling us.
There are posts about home made tools, some crude , some down right ingenious. Regardless of quality, I just appreciate effort. The days of giving rides to hitch hikers, helping standard people etc are gone. I know..... I like this place though. You see commaraderie, genuiness, and real charity. People will send tools across a country to others they have never met just so they can complete whatever task is jamming a finger in their eye. I think that is worth protecting. I will go back to my bubble of a world now.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
There are posts about home made tools, some crude , some down right ingenious. Regardless of quality, I just appreciate effort. The days of giving rides to hitch hikers, helping standard people etc are gone. I know..... I like this place though. You see commaraderie, genuiness, and real charity. People will send tools across a country to others they have never met just so they can complete whatever task is jamming a finger in their eye. I think that is worth protecting. I will go back to my bubble of a world now.

Spot on. I fell in love with this place due to the civility. Rarely arguments or negativuty, unlike Rennlist.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

It was kind of meant both ways...

Yeah, it was crude... took 10 seconds to put together. Pins were crooked, and I slapped a rubber band on there.

But I thought the idea had some merit... figured someone might run with it...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
It was kind of meant both ways...

Yeah, it was crude... took 10 seconds to put together. Pins were crooked, and I slapped a rubber band on there.

But I thought the idea had some merit... figured someone might run with it...
I thought of doing something similar a long time ago. Just figured it wasn't accurate enough.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Neil, your help is appreciated. Bickyd your support is also appreciated.

Neil, my skin is pretty thick. Not telling you what to say or do, but tone is hard to read on the internet. Lots of folks on here do/ask questions that may be silly on the face of it. Tact never hurts...

In the end, we each help each other out.

Part of being on this board, and most other boards, is the camaraderie and "shooting the breeze." Its a mix of getting answers, socializing, and humor. The technical aspect is just part of it.

Kumbaya...

Bo
No offense meant, none taken.

I have been in this engine business for many years and left many all over race tracks around the world.

To survive in this business you have to have a thick skin. Unfortunately, I don't suffer fools much. It comes with years in the business meeting all too many.

I am happy to help and offer advice and suggestions, but be sensible and think about the consequences of doing anything when you rebuild your engine.

Making tooling is part of the job. Come to my shop and you will find cabinets full of it from 30+ years doing this. But it needs to be accurate otherwise you are wasting your time.

If you have an accurate 2-3 inch micrometer, you can buy "clip on" anvil attachments that will work fine for less than $ 20.00.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: