Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rocket Scientist

Carerra Pressure Fed Tensioner - Pop Sound

I was compressing a tensioner in the bench vice so that I could get the pin in and re-install it. I was squeezing it slowly with no results, and then I heard a POP sound. After that, it was easier to squeeze. I primed it and re-installed, and it seems to be pumped up. I cannot depress it with a screw driver, for instance. Do you think it is OK?
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Compressing a hydraulic tensioners.........

Use a large C-clamp or a vise to compress it. Use an oil hand pump to fill it with oil. Keep us posted.

Tony

Edit: Misunderstood your post. Thought you had difficulty compressing it.

Last edited by boyt911sc; 11-18-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Only time will tell. If your chains are fairly new they probably won't skip a tooth if your tensioner fails. AHIK.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check the ball and cage (nipple) to make sure it is still intact. Compare the tension to a known good tensioner.

It may be that there was something blocking something and you forced it out, if it holds tension, then there is likely no issue.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
I was compressing a tensioner in the bench vice so that I could get the pin in and re-install it. I was squeezing it slowly with no results, and then I heard a POP sound. After that, it was easier to squeeze. I primed it and re-installed, and it seems to be pumped up. I cannot depress it with a screw driver, for instance. Do you think it is OK?
Might have just been some air trapped in it that was squeezed out.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
trapped air escaping does make popping sounds....
Old 11-20-2017, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trond View Post
trapped air escaping does make popping sounds....
Thanks buddy, Yes, that turned out to be it. I did not know about the little leakdown hole until I found the tensioner thread that I recently posted too.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: