Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dansk sport muffler tip welding

Has anybody tried to weld a bung in to a Dansk Sport muffler exhaust tip? Is the metal chromed steel or stainless steel?

Jeff

Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Stainless. Even if the muffler is not stainless. The 70 mm tip from my Dansk sport is stainless.

You can test by using a magnet. No stick = stainless.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Regular steel welds fine with stainless filler rod.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I would move that sensor as close to the muffler as possible, you will see false lean reports at idle with it that close to the exhaust outlet
1976 911S Signature Edition - 3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Cams, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Manifold, ID725's, B&B Headers, TS HyperGate45 Gen V, TS RacePort, BW S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
IG: Signature_911
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Honestly most O2 sensors need to be before the exhaust. Usually after the header but no more then 3 feet to get a consistent reading. I would put the bung in the header right after the merge collector.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '76 911S 3.0 View Post
I would move that sensor as close to the muffler as possible, you will see false lean reports at idle with it that close to the exhaust outlet
can you explain this theory in more detail.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

O2 sensors are very sensitive to exhaust leaks. If you put the sensor to far away from the source or at the end of an exhaust tip it will get false readings caused by fresh air reversion. Similarity if you have a collecter manifold leak it will suck air and give you false readings. That’s is why most efi systems state they want the o2 sensor no more then 3 feet from the header/merge collector on the engine exhaust bank and to be absolutely sure you don’t have any leaks.

Last edited by tocobill; 12-02-2017 at 09:41 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
can you explain this theory in more detail.
it will read lean due to reversion if its too near the exhaust exit. prong sniffers read a .5 or up a full point vs a bung closer to header merge pipe.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
FWIW I mounted my O2 sensor in the tail pipe of my muffler. Very close the the muffler which is about 9" from the tip. There are times when the readings go off, especially when lifting off the throttle. Otherwise I have not noticed problems. I have used an extension on my tail pipe and it has not made a difference in my readings. YMMV. On the other hand if you mount it on one of the muffler inlets, you will only be reading one bank of cylinders. It might be best to mount it to the top of the muffler.....

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 12-08-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

FWIW if you do some research into aftermarket efi systems a lot of the only use one O2 sensor on one bank to monitor and make fuel corrections based on afr. If everything is set up correctly then both banks should have the same effective O2 readings. My 427 cobra has a Fast XFI system that runs this way. My sensor is set up to monitor the right bank of the engine. The sensor is less then 3 feet away from the engine right after the header next to the merge collector before the sidepipe.

Iím not sure how your using the O2 sensor, wether itís to monitor or used by an ecu system for efi. I have seen bad readings from reversions and header/exhaust leaks. Itís especially bad for self learning efi systems which will allow the engine to run extremely rich.

Last edited by tocobill; 12-09-2017 at 12:01 AM..
Old 12-08-2017, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: