Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
Sorry to see that. With that type of metal debris in the engine, you're going to need to disassemble and clean EVERYTHING very thoroughly in order to prevent any stray debris from damaging your new bearings or oil pump.

Need to clean all of the oil lines, oil coolers, thermostats, oil tank. Everything.
Thanks for the empathy and advice. Definitely don't need any of the metal bits and glitter fouling things up. Everything but the lines that run along the passenger side will be cleaned in the machinist's equipment. He uses a jet washer, then an ultrasonic tank, then a media blast. I'll either clean the lines and hoses myself or replace them, depending on how they look. I'm not looking forward to the oily mess!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Don't forget the oil coolers.
Bob B
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The hard lines from the t-stat to the cooler are not hard to clean. When you remove the t-stat and the cooler, which is of course the hardest part and use patience to avoid trashing the t-stat and cooler male threads, you have clear access to both ends.

I tie a few heavy washers to a long & strong piece of cord. On the other end I wrap the cord around a piece of rag. I hose the rag with brake parts cleaner and also squirt a lot into the line itself and shake it around. Pull the cord through the line and it'll swab out the oil residue and crud. I do this several times and use a new piece of rag as needed until the rag comes out clean.

You definitely need to open the t-stat because there's some hiding spots in there where crud can collect. It's in the bypass/overpressure section of the t-stat (the smaller of the two screw-on cap locations) where the crud collects

Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Oil coolers for sure!

Great tips, KTL, thank you. I've been reading up on oil line cleaning, and people seem to have success with the method you describe. I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
Oh my Goodness.

Break a Leg Brother, wow I feel very bad for you.

+1 split and clean.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: