Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

front oil cooler for 2.45 liter engine?

Hi,

I am collecting parts for building a 2.45 l 'Henry Schmidt' engine.
Now I run against a front oil cooler with thermostat and hard lines etc of an '86.
It is difficult for me to find info when it is necessary to have extra cooling.

This engine will produce +/- 180 RWHP see link below
More Poop Options for a 2.0 69 T
Maybe Henry can comment ;-)

I live in The Netherlands where summer maximum temps go up to 30 degrees Celcius = 86 Fahrenheit.

Regards,
Bart

p.s. Can a '86 unit been fit on a '69 oil tank?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Depends how you drive and ambient temps. With my 2.5 I never needed a front cooler unless it was hot and I was at a DE or autocrossing.

Street driving it would never get above 190 degs even before I put the front cooler on.

You will need adapter fittings for the newer oil lines to hook up to the tank.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the info!

I was thinking that it could be an extra insurance...

However I prob wil not join autocross what so ever ;-)

Cheers,
Bart
Old 02-17-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I believe that auxiliary oil coolers were present on all 2.4S cars.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
I believe that auxiliary oil coolers were present on all 2.4S cars.
Nossir, it was optional in '73-on.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Conservative Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartdeBruijn View Post
Hi,

Now I run against a front oil cooler with thermostat and hard lines etc of an '86.

I live in The Netherlands where summer maximum temps go up to 30 degrees Celcius = 86 Fahrenheit.

Regards,
Bart

Until the advent of the 2.7 cis engine, front coolers came on cars with engines producing 160 hp or more. The 2.7 cars delivered to the US were after smog systems and were designed to run at higher temp.
The 2.45 will benefit greatly from a front cooler.

"The [contemporary liberal] standard for smartness is
not achievement but glib rhetoric, smug airs and
presumptuous proposals.'
"Thomas Sowell
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Depends how you drive and ambient temps. With my 2.5 I never needed a front cooler unless it was hot and I was at a DE or autocrossing.

Street driving it would never get above 190 degs even before I put the front cooler on.

You will need adapter fittings for the newer oil lines to hook up to the tank.
I have received advice from my local experts for my 2.5 build that is consistent with Gordonís experience. No cooler needed for conservative driving in moderate temperatures.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Is there any engine size that a front oil cooler should be installed no matter what?

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 02-20-2018, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well thanks!

I found a nice set('81) of (non-crushed ;-) original oil lines + thermostat for a reasonable price in Germany. So no shipping, local pickup.
Just need to make a choice for trombone or more modern cooler now....

Cheers,
Bart
Old 02-21-2018, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Talk with the person you are getting the lines and thermostat from. You may be able to get the rod and tube cooler that would be with the system.

Photo from EBay

PS - This one appears to be damaged line end right side, the bent tubes.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Bigger oil cooler = cheap insurance.

180 HP needs a cooler.
My dad's bone stock, 74 2.7 had AC and ran insaneoil temperatures, (with scary oil pressures),in very mild climate.
Ask any engine builder, (air cooled), about engine life and oil temps, overheating is an expensive death.
12 years ago, dad dropped over 10K into a top end rebuild and that wasn't the first time, (he bought it new).
The thermostats control oil temp, only if you have enough cooling capacity to get rid of the energy.

My point, extra cooling capacity allows the engine to survive. Very cheap insurance.

when dad passed on and left me the the coupe, I removed the AC, because I wanted to run the stock brass oil lines and thermostat where the AC lines were, so I could run a Carrera cooler. Doing this immediately lowered the temp and increased oil pressure. Both good things.
Ironically, shortly thereafter, the higher oil pressure pushed the engine mounted thermostat out of the case,likely due to pulled threads,either from prior over tightening or running too hot or both.

In conclusion, have more cooling capacity than you think you might need and let the thermostat keep the oil temp in the sweet spot, 180-220 F.

We sometimes forget that just about everything wears out much, much faster at elevated temps, oil viscosity and pressure don't like it either.

Trying to be cool,
Chris
Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Which front cooler??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartdeBruijn View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Bart

Hi, Bart,

Which front cooler do you have?? Fender trombone, brass tube, or finned Carrera cooler?.
Or, do you have the front bumper mounted cooler?

Talk to Chuck at Elephant Racing about adaptors.
Regards,
Chris
Old 02-24-2018, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

The '81 Oil Lines set you found will need an adapter for the return to the early Tank.

I make up custom Fuel and Oil Hoses for Porsches.

Here is my "Direct Connect" M26 Female adapter fitting crimped to a M30 Hose..........

This should help with your installation.

For more information please email me.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Old 02-25-2018, 02:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Even more valuable info, thanks all!
As mentioned I am in a stage of collecting parts so before building some time will past.
@Len: will check it out later, looks prommising

@ Cris: thanks for story and info. Right now I donít have the cooler itself, only original lines and thermostat. So choice on cooler needs to be made. I guess that the trombone is just more pipe for cooling (time period correct though&#128515
Cooling capacity wonít be that huge compared to the later oil coolers.
Do you(or anyone) know about a comparrison
Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Cooler choices

Hi Bart,
Our host has a broad selection of "how to articles", see header at top of page.

The one you want is the "Carrera oil cooler upgrade".

It covers, briefly, the changes made to the cooler through the mid years.

Chris
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Trombone is useless. Go with anything else. Any cooler will not work very well however. The battery box sits right if front of the cooler blocking almost all air to it. That being said, any additional cooling is good. These magnesium block engines have seen many, many heat cycles and get brittle over time. Heat is not your friend with these engines. Even the 7R case.

I assume you will also be increasing compression. Again, heat is not your friend. Higher compression plus heat equals detonation. I highly recommend the best cooler you can get.

Chris
73 E
Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: