Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

AA Cylinders- CE Ring

All,

I rebuilt my 2.4 using 86mm JE pistons in AA cylinders, and it was fine for about a 6 months and then it started to make strange noises. On inspection, one of the CE rings had broke. Engine out and it was replaced.
Anyway, I was driving yesterday and the noise has started again, so I presume its the same thing again, not happy!
Any body offer any reason why this might be?
I don't know if its the same cylinder yet or not.

rads

Last edited by rads; 03-13-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Are you referring to the head gasket? If so check the depth of the groove where the gasket fits or when you remove the head is the gasket crushed to pieces?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikt 911 View Post
Are you referring to the head gasket? If so check the depth of the groove where the gasket fits or when you remove the head is the gasket crushed to pieces?

Yes, its the head gasket.

I'll check it when I tear it down, do you know what it should be?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Check the cylinder depth groove and I guarantee you that the problem lies in the shallow depth. If you can find a thinner ce ring or machine the ce groove deeper would be the fix......jmo
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikt 911 View Post
Check the cylinder depth groove and I guarantee you that the problem lies in the shallow depth. If you can find a thinner ce ring or machine the ce groove deeper would be the fix......jmo
Thanks for this, Ill check when I drop the engine. Can I ask why too shallow and not too deep?

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
All the depths very in their cylinders....probably a quality control issue. Like I mentioned easy fix would be to machine the groove to specified depth as Mahle cylinders. I removed my AA cylinders and went back to mahle with 0 problems so far. I have a set of almost new AA 86 mm I may part with or remachine.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Interesting that you had problems too.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: