Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dougherty Racing Cams

Has anyone experience good or bad with this company?
I heard it take forever but you will get your stuffs..
Is has being two months still waiting for my new cam and spring set..
what are your thought ?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I use John exclusively. It took over two months but I was fine with the timing since I was not in any rush since I ordered the cams well in advance of when I needed them. John gives good advice on cam profiles for various applications so I like using him.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John is the best. Go nowhere else.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I feel much better knowing it is all good...
Thank you pelican for your input..
Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
He is busy for a reason. He is good with email. He will answer all your questions and knows his S*** when it comes to 911 cams and engines.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoporsche View Post
Has anyone experience good or bad with this company?
I heard it take forever but you will get your stuffs..
Is has being two months still waiting for my new cam and spring set..
what are your thought ?
You and me both. John has had my cams for re-welding and re-grinding now for 3 months. Tough guy to get ahold of for updates. Thankfully, this isn't urgent on my end or I would have just bought new Web-Cams .
Old 06-06-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizontallyopp View Post
You and me both. John has had my cams for re-welding and re-grinding now for 3 months. Tough guy to get ahold of for updates. Thankfully, this isn't urgent on my end or I would have just bought new Web-Cams .
I chose to go with new billets partially due to the fact that the welding process adds to the turn around time.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well the good news
I just called John and some how my stuffs never got ship out from their shipper department...John was surprises my order never got ship out to me.. well today is very good news...I will get my order in a few days...wow
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I've only built the one p-car engine but used John Dougherty to rehabilitate my cams to DC15 spec (if memory serves) in my SC rebuild. He was prompt, fairly priced and quickly answered an email call for help when I was setting cam timing. John/CT.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I must have caused a disturbance in the force as I got an invoice from John so my cams must be done. But yes, re-welding and re-grinding cams in the peak of race prep season is going to take longer. Like I said, this wasn't urgent for me, so I'm happy to wait for quality!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
non-whiner

I’ll give him another positive plug.

I bought new DC80’s from someone on this forum, but didn’t have the specs for alignment. I called John and was put on hold and then got the specs over the phone with a few tips for alignment. Btw, these went into my 3.2ss and performed perfectly.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Oh well Oh well
after talking on the phone with John two weeks ago
I AM Still waiting for my new Cam and Racing Valve Spring set
may have to call John again next week
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess I must have caused a disturbance in the force as I got an invoice from John so my cams must be done. But yes, re-welding and re-grinding cams in the peak of race prep season is going to take longer. Like I said, this wasn't urgent for me, so I'm happy to wait for quality!
Hi keith
hopefully I will get mine soon

Last edited by frankoporsche; 06-18-2018 at 09:29 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoporsche View Post
Hi keith
hopefully I will get mine soon
Mine arrived today.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

yes, good.

Mine also took longer than I would have thought but I would happily use him again and again.
And I shipped mine all the way from Australia.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Iím now going on 3-1/2 months waiting. I know Johnís a one man shop and worth waiting for but I ordered these cams on billets in mid-April so Iíve lost most of the race season with my engine on my engine stand. He told me in May he was roughing in my cams but even that was more than 2 months ago. Hopefully tomorrow when I call him again he has something to tell me before I move on. Very frustrating.
'97 BMW 528i (the sensible car, bought new)
'12 Vintage/Millenium 23' v-nose enclosed trailer
Old 07-29-2018, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I also had timing issues with DRC. Waited four months for a set of DC 60 cams. The cams seemed fine, but showed about .010-.015 less lift on the intake lobe...exhaust side was spot on. I’m not the only one to have experienced this. If I get another set, i’ll use Elgin or Web.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: