Thread: Stud problems
View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

While snowman's scientific explanation behind why this method may work is open to debate (and I do see one or two potential holes in the theory), I see no reason for everyone to doubt that it doesn't work. If he says it works, then it probably works, namely for the reasons he says (breaking down the Loctite). Common sense would say that the stud expands in the hole, but snowman is saying heat the stud, break the Loctite, and then let it cool down, and then remove it (at least I think that's what he's saying). There is more than one way to skin a cat - I think we all need to be a little more open minded here. Let's save the barbs for engines supported by 2x4s, and 2-pronged engine stands.

Heating the bond (whether you heat the stud or the case) will expand both the stud and the case, and break corrosive bonds that exist there. Cooling the case down again will cause everything to contract, but the bonds will be broken. Whether you heat the case or the stud - whatever works is whatever works.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 08-13-2003, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)