View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by faapgar View Post
Hi,to obtain a perfect fit they should only be squashed once and not reused.Fred
Don't agree. In the course of a proper engine build, the rod bearings are assembled in the rods out of the engine and torqued to measure the ID "as installed" with a precision bore gage. Likewise, the case halves are assembled with bearings, but nothing else to measure the ID of the mains. Once the crank is mic'd and clearances are calculated to be acceptable, then final assembly can proceed for real. I have never heard of this trial fitting for measurement to cause any harm. Likewise, a couple of times I have dissembled engines that had very low miles to fix specific problems and reused all the bearings because they were virtually as new. Had no problems with that either. I'm not saying that I wouldn't replace the mains in this case - I would - I just have never experienced problems reinstalling bearing shells that have previously been installed and torqued.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)