View Single Post

964 Engine Rebuild - rings bearings questions

OK
I am new at this but pretty deep into it.

my 964 90, had a few oil leaks... nothing major.. doesn't have the head gasket mod either (so I found out).
Mileage is only 90,000kms (not miles) and engine performs well, with good power, doesn't blow smoke, but has a few leaks from all major culprits.

I have pulled it apart with the intention of replacing through bolt o rings and cyl base gaskets, which are the apparent source of my other leaks.
Plan was to just have the heads machined and cleaned and re-seat valves as necessary.

My pistons and cylinders all look in good condition. No cracked rings.
Slight pitting on 1 cam and a fair bit more on the other.

Due to this, it makes me think I should split the case.. check for metal, and then perhaps replace bearings... which means 12 new conrod bolts and nuts too..

Question:
Is it acceptable to repair cams or are they now rubbish?

Can I use the glyco bearings for crank and rods from our Host or should I go genuine and pay through the nose?

Also, is it assumed to replace rings while motor is apart? If so, are Goetze sold by our host OK to use? There seem to be some negative press out there for this brand of ring.

Any advice appreciated...
Mike

Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)