View Single Post

HVAC tech weighing in

After looking into an electric conversion for myself, I found this discussion. I've been reading this thread and notice one crucial point is missing. BTU capacity of the system has not been mentioned. Typical car AC systems are in the neighborhood of 24,000 to 36,000BTUs. Your house AC is going to be that size depending on square footage and climate. These compressors run at 240V AC and draw around 20 amps.
At 12VDC, the amp draw would be tremendous for a 3 ton (36KBTU) system.

The Jegs compressor someone linked to is a 4,000btu compressor. The idea of electric AC compressors in a car isn't a bad idea... A belt driven compressor changes RPM (translating into cooling capacity) continuously. The advantages of an electric compressor are obvious, in terms of linear performance. Then you have the issue of airflow over the condenser. Notice your home AC condenser fan runs at one speed. Airflow changes over the condenser are going to affect cooling capacity as well.

But until we go to high voltage systems in a car, this isn't feasible. Hybrids can do it because they have those huge battery packs and higher voltage.

Last edited by BenzKompressor; 07-28-2016 at 05:43 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)