View Single Post

Help!! Two questions...

I need some help. My '74 2.0L died this morning on the way to work. Just off the interstate offramp. Dead, dead, dead. It was running just as always. No problems at all. Then dead.

Had it towed home after work and found the fuel pump relay was bad. Swapped in a known good relay and now have fuel pressure (30 psi, for my 2056cc), and spray from the two injectors I pulled to test. I have spark and 145 lbs. of compression on the two cyls. I checked. I am assuming that all four (cyls. and injectors) are OK since it has been running great. Battery has a full charge. The car still won't start.

Even though I have FI, could I have flooded the engine while trying to start it many, many times? (after I replaced the relay of course)

As to why the relay went bad. The voltage has been jumping around quite a bit (12.5 to 16 volts) when measured at the battery terminals. My voltage regulator is only 1.5 yrs. old. Could the higher voltage spikes have caused this relay an untimely death?

I will try again in the AM to start the beast. If you have any ideas, please let me have them.

Thanks,

David Pritchard

PS - I checked the CHT and it is within specs.

Last edited by Pritchard; 08-19-2003 at 06:04 PM..
Old 08-19-2003, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)