View Single Post
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
First, don't assume you've got fuel from all four and don't assume you have good compression in all four. I've been fooled by assuming the one cylinder I didn't check was OK...

You can flood the engine with FI. I've done it. It's not easy, mind you... Do you get fuel coming out of the exhaust when you crank the starter?

Check for spark. This is the easiest thing to have go away suddenly...

If your voltage readings are off of the stock voltmeter, they are almost worthless. The 16V would actually make me nervous, as usually the actual voltage at the battery is higher than shown by the gauge. Once you get it started, use a real voltmeter across the battery posts themselves to see what the charging system voltage is. It should stay between 13V and 14.5V at all times--close to 16V is too high and will boil your battery...

The battery should give you 12.65V with the engine off. If it doesn't, it is discharged or down on water or something else is wrong.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-19-2003, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)