View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladey View Post
I've got the elephant racing cross brace - very happy with it.

At the front it relies on screwing through to some substantial (3mm thick?) backing plates that go the other side of the body panel - in the inner wing. So it isn't screwed into the inner wing, it's effectively clamped to it and very strongly - the inner wing is sandwiched between the two elephant racing brackets.

I've no idea if you could cut 20mm off and re-thread it - you'd be better off asking Chuck at Elephant Racing. However if you do then you're also moving slightly the point at which the two struts join each other - don't know if that would cause a problem.

IMHO I would suggest if you fit it then fit what they supply in the way that they supply it
I know how the brace is mounted, no doubt it's fine. There are two reasons for me not to use the delivered brackets.
First, I have already mounting brackets welded in earlier (see pics fresh out of paint cabine), they will also conflict with the other ones.
Point of joint (ha what a nice term) will not be different, only angle, but there is no issue. BTW I asked Chuck already, just wanted to see, what others may think.
Second, I have a strut bar which I like very much and therefore I cannot use the rear brackets of the ER strut.
Originally, I wanted to make my own strut, but this would be quite big effort, because I like the Idea of the adjustable ends there to set a little strain.

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #566 (permalink)