View Single Post
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Ha! not BS at all.. as you said above, supercar back in the day... so let's go "back in the day" to 1976/77, and look at a few points.

These cars were $25,000 and some change in 1976.. factoring in inflation etc.. that is the equivalent of roughly $138,750.00 today.

So of the buyers who bought these cars @ $25k, how many do you think were racers, chump car drivers, and/or 911 savvy at all? Few if any. Sure there may have been the guy that was stepping up from a muscle car.. which is a totally different drive.. and with some luck there were probably a few previous 911 owners purchasing a new Turbo Carrera. However, for the most part, the average purchaser was a well heeled (Dr, Lawyer, Acct etc) individual who was purchasing his first supercar, and in many cases his first foreign car!
Sorry about your friend.

I agree that many new Porsche owners are not performance drivers and have direct experience with this as a PCA Driving Instructor and former Chief Instructor for our region. Deepness of pockets is not proportionate to driving ability.

That being said, there were car enthusiasts that could drive and understood the dynamics of a rear engined car who bought 930's new. My 76 930 was purchased new by a Geologist, it was not his new first 911. He paid $35,000 Canadian for the car new. He traded it for a 74 Targa and $25,000 a little over a year later. The Targa was subsequently sold and he bought a Dino... He is now in his 80's and drives a 997 Carerra 4 GTS. Oh, and his son drove in Formula 1 and currently operated several race schools in the US.

To underscore my point, the original owner of my car even drove it in the winter, in Alberta. Ever heard of black ice?
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 10-05-2016, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)