View Single Post

However guy's, you will have a Renegade instead of a 912 Porsche, with a type 4, or 1, or any other type a engine. It will then be a Porsche/VW, Porsche/Subaru, and etc. That is why term Renegade was given to those 901/902 body styles. The term outlaw only is designated for the 356 and is bestowed on those 356 by Gary Emory. He was the original one that invented the term for his custom 356s. He father was a well known Hot Rod customizer for the 50's in Southern California.

The 914 is really a VW/Porsche and was sold around the world as a VW/Porsche. It had a VW body with a massaged by Porsche VW type engine. Only in the US did they change the name. VW could not import it as a VW because US Government did not consider VW as a sports car manufacturer and to make stricter guild lines. So VW rebadged it as a Porsche and sold it through Porsche/ Audi dealerships.

Term with the body manufacturer/ and different engine have been used since after WWI may even before. Like the Lotus/Ford, Lotus /Porsche, AC/Ford, AC/Bristol, AC Cobra are a couple of the more common.

I have known Gary Emory and his son Ron and family for over 25 years. I have also made every Porsche campout that Parts obsolete had. I believe it was at the 2004 campout when we decided to call the 911/912 hot rods, Renegades. A couple of people that had 912's with different engines, that came to the campout, wanted Gary to give them one of his outlaw badges so they could have a 912 outlaw. In the pass he had given one outlaw badge to a 912. It was the one that he had built for John to go racing. Picture below. To smooth things over we came up with the tern Renegade. I designed a badge, T-shirt, and etc. for them and some may still have them and use them.

A added note Gary has never used a Type 4 or type 1 in a 911, 912 or a 356.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)