View Single Post

Most Porsche engines come on at 4000 rpms. That is where the torque starts and why you have to rev the engine from a standing start. You should also keep the rmps above 3000 so as not to lug the engine.

My torque comes on around 3000 and is not lugging even at 2500. However, my HP peaks out at between 5700 and 5800 by the dyno. My red line is above 6500. For top end I have pegged my 200 KMH speedometer. My car is very streetable, quick, and built for longevity. However, it is just a Porsche 912 engine with some special factory parts.

Back in the 70's my friend had a stock 911S 2.2lr lightweight, that red line at 7900. He had to keep the car at about 5000 where his torque came on. Just to drive it down the street, without lugging it, in first or second. It was very quick and fast. The top end was well north of 160miles. You can imagine what it sounded like drive in the city at 5000 rpms in first gear.

So if the polo engine that doesn't come on until 5000. It should not be a very streetable more for a track. I remember the first polo engine Gary and Rod put in that 356 outlaw roadster. It was up at the campout and I talk to Dean about putting one in my 912. If I was ever going to change the engine. It would be the Polo.

Quote:
125 is not close to it's top speed, but the car get's a little floaty north of that

To handle the floating above 125. You need to add a 911S front bumper and the rear duck tail. This will stable it out.

However, I have always driven Porsches like I stole them. It is why I only have a 912 left anymore. I sold all of the 911S, Carrera's that I have owned. The engine that I have, in my 912, is quick enough without having to drive it on a race track. I have only had one ticket in it Since I have own it over 45 years. Been stopped a few times but only one ticket.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)