View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Interesting! Wonder why that rumor started.

As the legend goes, somebody ordered it but backed out (as noted). It then sat at Brumos' showroom IIRC. It was purchased by a gentleman for his mother who drove it briefly before realizing the car's significance. Then it changed hands and was last seen ten years ago in England, or France, somewhere in Europe..?

Yes, both his cars are indeed something special.

I guess those spare electric GS seats are never getting installed, considering his quest for lightness! Comfort seats to boot, not even sport!

How does he swap all these body panels without marring the bolt heads that have the world's rarest paint on them?
I know the story Chuck Z who started the 928 registry said the same thing. IIRC he said when the person who ordered the pearlglandz GTS found out Porsche was keeping the last 928 off the production line he backed out. I believe the pearglandz GTS is the last US spec 928 but not the last 928 to be produced. I know it was not Bob but who it was I couldn't tell you. Bob never intended these cars to get so out of control it was a process and started with a simple request and morphed into these heavily modified cars.

The America GS has become a test bed for some of the most advanced Carbon Fiber and titanium components made today. That is what his business does and they design and build all sorts of parts for the military and automotive industries. Like your CF intakes on the GT3 RS's and the fuel tanks for F1 cars. IIRC the GS is down to under 1000 kg and they are working on a close to 500 hp 4 valve N/A air cooled engine that should meet smog requirements.

It is quite fascinating and the craftsmanship is second to none. Although IMO any car could have been used for this but it is his to do what he pleases with. It is quite interesting to see components like shocks and other items made from CF. They spend a fortune just to figure out how to get every ounce and fraction of an ounce out of the car and improving it as they do.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)