View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I used the term "must be", not "only". The term "must be" does leave the door open to other possibilities, but the turbo/scavenge system still seems like the most likely culprit.

SBK930 did not mention any major engine issue when the mosquito fogging commenced, he only mentioned the cloud of smoke. One would think with a holed piston, you would also notice some impairment in the way it was running. I for one would certainly notice an instantaneous drop of 1 cylinder...just saying. A holed piston would also exhibit damn near zero compression in the offending cylinder, thus greatly reducing it's ability to actually pump oil out either valve track. A holed piston would also drop that cylinder from the ignition cycle, so where would all the smoke be generated from? Remember this all happened very quickly, so short term cylinder events do not generally yield puddles of oil all thru the intake/exhaust tracks. Where as full engine oil pressure flowing past failed turbo seal{s} is very, very messy in short order.

Additionally, potentially fouled plug{s} could easily explain the lack of power while loading onto the tow truck.

But as suggested, a simple compression check would eliminate/confirm the possibility of a holed piston instantly.

I for one am hoping it's the most common scenario, and least expensive end result for SBK930.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 11-27-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 11-27-2016, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)