View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimotion View Post
The manual is correct for direct coil connection, but assumes a points based ignition.
sorry for the incorrect assumption on +/- in the post as I've never used that configuration

I had Opto+ connected to the tachometer output of the Porsche CDI ignition controller and Opto- simply grounded

If your tachometer is fed from the 123 ignition box and not the coil then tapping in there may give results
Steve

Just to confirm, the tacho output you are talking about is the black/violet wire coming off the CDI that goes into the 2-pin connector. This is used as a test connection for running a tach for timing etc purposes?

I ask because in the workshop manual it says "The test line is connected to the black/violet wire coming from the control unit, which normally is connected to terminal 15 of a coil type ignition", and also "With the engine running the black/violet wire delivers about 450v against ground".

Just want to make sure this is connected to OPTO+ before I let the smoke of out my MS

EDIT: Never mind, reading on I see "The 2-pole plug connection near the CDI control unit has been deleted from 1977 models. The wires now lead over the 14-pole plug on the regulator plate." I guess I need to figure out which of these I need to tap in to.

EDIT 2: Looks like it is pin 12 and still Black/Violet. I'm guessing its the same behavior as on the 77 models wrt voltage. Is this the correct one to use?

EDIT 3: Now I'm really confused, can't make heads or tails of these current diagrams. Anyway, pin TD off the 6-pin CDI connector is Violet/Black and looks to be correct if those voltages above are within limits.

Thanks!

Last edited by flightlead404; 12-02-2016 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-02-2016, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #655 (permalink)