View Single Post
Feral Cat

Well, put another way - I can understand that it's useful when driving a race car to be able to obtain information at a glance. So I can see why Porsche's engineers might have calibrated the gauges so that the small gauge needles - temperature, oil pressure and voltage - are horizontal during normal operation, say driving on the highway. But considering that a large share of Porsche sales is always to the US which suffers from temperature extremes and often massive traffic jams they might have made some more concessions to this market. Searching out the number of "overheating" and "temperature" threads here it must account for a fairly large proportion of the total, particularly during the summer months. There have probably been countless hours and dollars spent correcting overheating problems on 944s that aren't overheating. Or not quite overheating. Had I been a Porsche engineer I would have expanded the "critical zone" between 102C and 115C to a larger portion of the gauge, and shrunken the "non-critical" 40-90C range to much less than 1/2 of the gauge face. This is mostly a rant.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)