View Single Post
Brando

Garage
Clutch.....again

Please help me choose a clutch pressure plate.
I need it to hold power and able to launch from a dig. I'm not going to be drag racing..but I don't want to have a clutch spin with full power slip either.
My issues are as follows, and then I'll explain my history as well.
I have a stock 76-77 short bell 930 pressure plate. It holds my average torque fine as long as I don't slip the clutch to get away from standing(I think anyway). But if I need to slip the clutch in order to get moving quicker before full boost hits, and then I do get full boost during the end of the slip process it spins out of control and it's toast and I'm done.
It just doesn't grab and hold with enough clamping force as my 350lb ft produces.
Now my history.
First clutch system was a 225mm aluminum power clutch for a 915 transmission. I used a steel scalloped light weight flywheel and the response was addicting. This wasn't really too bad since I couldn't give full power in 1st gear with the 915 anyway and second gear held up for a while and then started slip after about a year. I bought a center-force clutch and that held fine up until I got a 930 gearbox but it was heavy and noticeable response was now more like a stock weighted clutch:/
The change to 930 gearbox was an expensive one:O And so I went for stock 930 short pressure plate and this time I had an aluminum lightweight flywheel made for the 6 bolt crank. forgot the steel sleeve for torquing the aluminum flywheel and had to remove and redo that but that is another story.
This system has been fine other than the current issues I have.

So my question is this...
Which pressure plate (and flywheel) do I need that is not insanely priced but strong enough to hold legit 500lbft? I want to actually make that with my new engine in time. I do like the light rotational mass but would sacrifice that for strength and reasonable price. I do NOT want to spend $2000 for a clutch. Is it possible?

Please give me clutch evaluations and reviews of whats available? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)