View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If you remove them without leaving any squish marks in the threads from a stud removal tool and they look pretty much like new ones they will sell.

When I got my car the top row of dilivar head studs were probably the original ones with the black coating on the smooth sides and the bottom row had been replaced with black coated 993TT dilivar studs.
I replaced them all with ARP head studs a few years ago when installing new Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders.

I sold all 24 used dilivar head studs with the barrel nuts and washers for $50 shipped in a small USPS flat rate box. I used a Stahlwille stud removal tool that has 3 internal rollers that squeeze against the stud threads to grip them while removing them. It worked well but did leave marks on the threads of the studs. I cleaned up and repaired the threads with a Jawco 10x1.5mm rethreading die and it worked well. Jawco #M7 Metric Rethreading Die Set Thread Restore 7pc 6-12mm MADE IN USA | eBay

I wrapped the studs, nuts, and washers in paper towels so they wouldn't rattle against each other and they all fit in a small USPS box.
The guy that bought them installed them in a motor and he was happy.

Heating the case around the studs with MAP gas for 5 minutes will soften any loctite used when installing them and double nutting them to screw them out of the case shouldn't leave any marks on the threads.
It takes more time than using a stud removal tool but they should be worth more than $50 shipped if they come out clean.
The barrel nuts will be rusty and you can soak them and the washers in phosphoric acid for a little while to remove the rust if you want. Then spray them with WD40 or something so they don't rust up right away.
They'll look better in a for sale ad that way.
If you're a reloader or know someone who is, stick your old hardware in a tumbler with some corn cob and let them tumble for a couple of days. They should turn out real nice.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)