View Single Post
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Yes I agree the way to get the teeth off is a careful cut and smack to release the press fit. Pressing the old teeth off with the SIR tool like the one shown below (P223 and P224 are the tool numbers for 930 gears) tends to mess with the tight fit of the teeth on the gear hub.

I think this press fit disturbance is a valid concern because I have noticed varying degrees of grip by the teeth on the gears. On some old junk gears, i've been able to press off old teeth with a strong Wilton shop vise. I place some spacers and protective material in the jaws and i've been able to pull the teeth off 915 gears this way. Some took a lot of effort (no cheater bar placed on the vise handle) and they pop off. Others slid off the gear rather easily.

So my point is I think it's a good idea to preserve the precision of the gear's hub splines and cut the teeth off. Installation is very easy. Heat the teeth up in a toaster oven to 250-300F and they drop right onto a frozen gear.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"

Last edited by KTL; 01-30-2017 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: edit........ whoops forgot the picture
Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)