View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Lot of truth in your statements.
The situation with the gray slant is not necessarily one that the average 930 owner gets into, and the reason this thread exists. This car was horrifically neglected when I bought it. Literally drug out of a shed and thrown on eBay. In 30 years this car had seen ZERO maintenance. NONE. The condition was deplorable.
My task is to bring it back to daily driver status. No small feat. The problem is I don't have a lot of time to devote to it. Yes I do have the skills and resources (thank the lord) or I never would have bought the thing. I am sharing my pain with you all as a testimony to what you can expect if buying a barn find. You had better get it cheap.
Now the Red Rocket was a different story. I built that car from scratch. Down to the tub it went and I knew every bolt and nut on it. 100% rebuilt everything. I drove that car anywhere and everywhere for 15 years and it never let me down. If I had the time I would do a tub strip rebuild on the gray slant, that would be a wonderful thing indeed! But I don't have the time and I do really love the car. It's not the car's fault it had a crappy owner and I don't expect too much out of it just yet. We are inching forward and the ignition system was on my list to tackle next, it just beat me to the punch!

As for the current problem, when the engine died the fuel pumps were still running so that negates the overboost switch or fuel system itself from being the problem.
The BOV was stuck open when I bought the car so I added new gaskets (I'd say replaced them but they had disintegrated so there was nothing to replace).
The distributor was a mess as well so I cleaned it an added new cap rotor and wires.
The CDI is still original as well as the notorious green wire. Those are the lead suspects right now.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #654 (permalink)