View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
Okay so upon full inspection of the timing belt the car looks to be out of time. So the engine or multiple valves and pistons may be bent or broken. Pics of the timing gears are as follows. Notice: I found out later that the harmonic balancer should be at the first OT| mark for the Euro. So these photos do not show the timing on the correct TDC crankshaft position, but the cams are still off time with the first OT| mark by about two teeth on each side. I'm not sure if the timing is off enough for it to be damaged or not at this point.
I've read that this car is not interference, but I'm interested to know for sure either way. The VIN is ES840485. M28/22 with engine number 82E05366. I've been searching these threads on pelican and saw someone with a VIN ES841469 that did not have an interference engine. That would appear to be a later number than my car, but we will see. This car has had a compression test in recent years that has come back good on all cylinders, so I'm going to try to proceed with a new belt and some tensioner parts to see if I can get it back in time.
Interestingly enough, I've got the fuel injection pulsing now, and the car was firing (if not oddly) before I realized it was out of time and stopped cranking it. My partner in car crime listened to it and said that it sounded out of time too. So we will see.
Otherwise, I have fuel pressure, spark, compression, and I'm going to see if changing the timing with make it tick over.
Yes, engine is not timed right, but probably not so far out of time as to bend valves. There has been discussion as to whether or not earlier 84 Euros are actually interference engines since there is mass speculation they used 83 pistons in the earlier 84 Euro cars.

I would fix the cam timing, clean the injectors and then attempt to start it.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)

Last edited by stepson; 03-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: correction for posterity
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)