View Single Post
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
Yes, engine is not timed right, but probably not so far out of time as to bend valves. There has been discussion as to whether or not earlier 84 Euros are actually interference engines since there is mass speculation they used 83 pistons in the earlier 84 Euro cars.

I would fix the cam timing, fix the jumper for the fuel injection to 30-87-87 and then attempt to start it.
Good info, and this jumper could no doubt be part of my problem. It's raining here right now and I haven't had much time today to work on the car, but I'm going to start trying to get the timing set right and I'll remember to fix that jumper before cranking again.
Yes, from what I understand most of the 84 year was a 9:1 piston rather than the 10.4:1 piston. I understand the 9:1 piston was recognizable by the dish in the top of the piston? I have not looked to see which pistons I have yet.
It kinda makes sense on the road tests that year because one test car only managed 150mph and the other one managed 155mph. One was probably a 9:1 car and the other was a 10:1 car.

It really doesn't make any difference whether I crank it or not now. If the timing was messed up enough to bend valves it wasn't me who did it. The shop I got the car from cranked away on it endlessly before I got ahold of it. So it's pretty much do or die now. I'll see if putting it in time makes it tick over. I'm still not even close to being done with the fuel system, but I know it had pressure when I breached the rails to push out the old gas. So I'll report back what my findings are as I find out more.
Also, JKMcDonald, the starting fluid is next up if it doesn't come to life after I get the timing set, and I'll check the compression.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)