View Single Post

"I'm going back and forth on this neither mechanics want to leave the bottom end alone. Both are instant that if we do the top end we have to do the bottom end."

No one is getting mad at you, we're just trying to save you some money and get you some peace of mind. If the car really only has 54k on it and it isn't showing any symptoms (low OP, knock, leaking etc. ) there is no reason to tear into the case, period. If it's been well cared for there is no reason the bottom end won't go at least 100k miles. Even if the rear main seal is leaking it can easily be replaced w/o splitting the case. I would be very hesitant of using a mechanic who tells you that he will only do a total rebuild when there is nothing indicating that the bottom needs it. That is NOT what a good mechanic will tell you. He may be good from a technical standpoint but if he can't give you a good reason why the case needs splitting then he isn't good from an honesty standpoint. A top end isn't a bad idea, guides, valve job, rings. As for being an albatross, look at what you paid for the car and what it's worth now. Sure you put some money into it but I'd bet you are way ahead of being even.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)