View Single Post
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
No this car has only been cared for and well maintained.

Please don't get mad with me but understand how this is for me. On one hand I probably do need the valve guides replaced.

Then I have you guys telling not to do the bottom because the you can't buy good bearings.

End the end this has become a albatross.

Has anyone on here recently done the bottom in of the 930? Did you run into the problems discussed above?
At only +/- 50,000 miles, you would not need valve guides replace unless they had been severely damaged by oil starvation, excessive heat (like running the engine with the fan belt off, and/or rats' nests under the fan shroud, etc.), or some other kind of severe mechanical failure - not even close to the service interval for those, even though the air cooled, turbo engine wears them out faster than a "normal" engine. The fastest, typical wear that I have ever read about is over 70,000 miles, and with your rate of driving, you would not even come near that mileage during your ownership, or in your lifetime, for that matter.

The bottom line is that your engine is not even remotely a candidate for an overhaul, and any mechanics saying otherwise are being remarkably dishonest and trying to take advantage of someone they can tell has very little mechanical knowledge.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-15-2017 at 02:46 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)