View Single Post

Hey, Dana,

Just finished doing my clutch back in Feb this year. The slave cyl leaked and trashed the clutch plate. Took about 6 Saturdays (my first time).

You can save a lot of time and aggravation by removing the entire rear frame assy from the bike (swing arm, rear wheel, frame and all, in one piece).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PdVvxMwz_A

I disassembled mine and reassembly was time-consuming.

An old scissor-jack worked really well as a support on the lift, and the lift is a REAL BACK SAVER.

For a replacement clutch disc, I went with the Siebenrock Basic Plus el cheapo for $104 - NOT "oil proof" clutch, from BBY. And I drilled the weep hole eliminating the need for the $295 oil-proof plate.

New Siebenrock Basic Plus Plate For All R1150 & R1100S Bikes

I got the spacer but it does not fit the Siebenrock. Different rivet hole circumference. There is an old VW clutch for like $80

Only 15K miles on the rest of the clutch parts so they were pristine except covered in oil. MARK THE CLUTCH HOUSING, PRESSURE PLATE, AND HOUSING COVER WITH A CENTER-PUNCH OR FILE BEFORE DISASSEMBLY. Paint wipes right off. AMHIK. Did not have to remove the pressure plate from the crank shaft. Did not need special tools, but had to use some creativity.

You will need torque wrenches, allen wrenches, sockets and extensions, dikes for all the cable ties and a camera. TAKE PLENTY OF PICS - YOU WILL NEED THEM.

Good time to swap out the OEM brake lines too. They DO fail on most bikes this age. Spiegler makes excellent kits (Amazon $200)

The HES is a known time bomb. GSAddict will rebuild yours for $110 plus $15 postage. Perfect time to do it, too.

Ugly. Looks like a super model torn in half by a crocodile.

More pics here: https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipML6ITqR378NDxroxQhnU-UEdOe6V3tEZgS_fe_5qC_epdWDdjygqHX7jPsx4Y_uQ?key=OV ZXalc1N3hYQmhQOEhzcGNZTlI2R0xGc1gzT25R

Be ready for $urpri$e$, too!!

If I can help, please let me know.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)