View Single Post
Knee Pads are Overrated!

No surprise that the "backside method" would catch your leering eye, Deez!

All joking aside, it is far easier to measure lash that way, than the conventional way using the special feeler blade tool. Mainly, you just have to get clear in your mind how to insert the feeler blades (exhaust measured from above and intake from below . . . opposite, in other words), and make sure you are actually on TDC of the compression stroke for the cylinder you are working on, and then it will be smooth sailing from there (with practice, obviously).

Also keep in mind that the factory lash clearance is .004" plus/minus .002, so in other words, there is a fairly broad range to work with and no need to get all OCD trying to get every valve at .004.

More than likely, you will only find that a few of them need to be adjusted in order to stay within that range, and I am a firm believer in leaving well enough alone if no adjustment is necessary. BUTT that said, if I find any that are .002, I adjust them, since the lash narrows with use and if the starting point is .002, that means it won't be too long before it would need to be slackened.

PS - nice job making those brake line supports.

PSS - ohhhhhh just saw the oil choice - you are a wise man! Did you hide the receipt from your wifey ?!?!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-04-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #244 (permalink)