View Single Post
It's a 914 ...

As stated, raising the spindles (or changing any of the suspension pickup points for that matter) will affect roll center [once you alter the ride height accordingly]. There are a number of variables to consider when making a change such as spindle height, so to get a good answer you'd need to plot your suspension, taking into account things like ride height and tire/wheel diameter. I spent some good time playing with a suspension design and analysis program designing a new front suspension for my racecar, so have had my fill of this.

To the OP, I wonder if you were also mixing unsprung weight into your question without actually stating it? Coil springs are pretty light, so have minimal impact on car weight due to the small percentage of total that they comprise. Unsprung weight is much less, so there would be some increase when adding coils. Torsion bars are heavy, but they are also at the pivot point of the A arm so contribute minimally to unsprung weight (and in fact I believe this is why Porsche liked torsion bars back in the day). With all of that said, most racers choose coilovers because they're easier to adjust and easier to swap out for other springs when setting up a car.

Last edited by stownsen914; 05-31-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)