View Single Post
It's a 914 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjedi View Post
I think I am understanding this a little more - the distance between the C of G and the RC is called the roll moment. With 73 RSR or any other car that has its spindles raised, the distance of the roll moment is actually increased. This happens even though the C of G has been lowered, as has the RC. It sounds like a confusing compromise.

This guy helped me in understanding a LITTLE bit;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU2c03KkF6k

I did some reading before playing with the suspension design program to understand things like roll center, scrub, anti-dive/squat, etc. There is a lot to consider, and optimizing one often causes compromises in others. It's also not easy to get the guys who really know what's best for critical things like roll center to spill the beans! But from what I gather, the sweet spot for roll center is usually between ground and several inches above ground, and it's preferable to have the rear roll center above the front roll center to make for predictable handling. For center of gravity, naturally lower is better, but usually it's above the roll center.

As a point of reference, 914s have a high rear roll center. Depending on how the car is set up, I think it winds us being like 5-6 inches above ground. When you spring a 914 stiffly, many do away with the rear sway bar (including yours truly), which is consistent with the lower roll couple that comes with a high roll center. Think of it as the car (CG) having less leverage on the RC, so less sway bar is needed to resist roll.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)