Thread: TEC3r failing?
View Single Post

I'd check the relays. I had a relay I had installed so the unit had power directly from where the starter cable attaches to the starter over to the unit, with a relay in between. A wire in the relay (those tiny thin ones) coil broke off where it was attached to the external pin. Took me way too long to dope it out. To be sure, this is a stiff race car, and I was racing at Sebring. Not quite the same as sitting in a garage. And maybe you have checked to see if you have power to the ECU, and to the distribution board for the wires to the injectors, and all the connections to the coil packs. With the computer hooked up, does the TPS voltage behave as it should? Though this is a running issue, not really a no start issue. Voltage cranking is always worth checking.

Can you hear/feel the injectors click when cranking the engine? If so, you probably have power. Was the plug you pulled wet?

I bet you've checked the sensor clearance to the toothed wheel. The only one of those I've had go bad was because it wasn't as tight as I thought and it got eaten by the teeth - not hard to diagnose. And I think they work OK if ballpark.

I never hooked up the CDL, so no help there. My box is installed in the engine compartment with the front (where the serial plug is) facing a bulkhead, so I need a mirror just to see if the power light is on. I guess you'd notice if it wasn't on, so probably at least one of the usual relays is working?

Nice puzzle. What happens in a garage? Rodents? Poltergeists? Some connection which opened when the engine and anything else cooled after last you drove it?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)