View Single Post

I did this just a few days ago using the Clewett cam sensor. While it is true that you can set the offset in software, having it about 90 degrees before Z1 is best. Otherwise during startup it may take another revolution to synchronize. What I did was the following.

My pulley has marks at Z1 and every 120 degrees. I put a piece of tape that covered Z1 and went up to 120 BTDC and marked these positions. I pulled the tape and linearly interpolated to mark 90 degrees very prominently and put the tape back in position. Then I rotated the engine to find which time around was the compression stroke. There are many ways to do this but for me I just removed the #1 spark plug and put the hose from a compression tester. You can clearly feel and hear the air come out in the compression stroke. I had wasted spark with no distributer.

Now it's easy to set the engine at 90 degrees BTDC. You can put your pick up there. For the Clewett there is a bolt that is drilled and tapped into the camshaft end.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)