Thread: Should I EFI
View Single Post
Work in Progress

Garage
Since my car is being a garage whore (not queen) right now I've been thinking about it too. Also since my car isn't running well if I were you I'd keep my well-running car and enjoy it as is. When CIS failed me I'd take that opportunity to swap to EFI. In the mean time learn as much about as you can.

I figure cost probably starts at about 5K for a mega squirt DIY and can easily get to 10K or more, and that's before you've paid someone to tune it.

I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ or a Doubting Tom. If I had the money to do it, I'd have done an EFI swap already. But here are a couple of questions that have been in my mind:

How much is the performance gain in doing an EFI swap?

Is the car going to feel like an entirely new beast, with markedly better driving characteristics?

Has anyone every done a before and after dyno run to show how much and where you get performance gains from EFI?

Are the benefits attainable by a DIY'er or do you need to have a tuner to actually get these things to run well? Cold start, warm start, partial load, full throttle, idle, etc. My impression is that general knowledge can get a car running, but beyond that, you really need an expert. And depending on the expert you find, the results can vary. One of the turbopalooza guys had taken his Motec car to several experts in the North East but was still unsatisfied with the results.

If you need a tuner, then I get the feeling that the first thing to do is find a tuner you're going to use, then work backwards and find the systems they work with. It doesn't seem easy to find a tuner with much experience in air cooled 930's.

Those are some of the things I have bouncing around in my head. I hope that my asking them helps the OP.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)