View Single Post

Thanks guys for the sympathy pains I had the guys over at Colvin Automotive do a full check out on the car for this and they did indeed find that the rust had migrated beyond the front suspension pan but was still confined to the immediate areas. There's actually another piece in the picture that they needed to replace and they'll still need to patch a few smaller areas near the inner wheel well by the battery box.

I still feel I got a good deal on the car but it was more about the shock to have the dreaded "R" word mentioned to me when I got it checked out. I knew there was a hole from battery acid, just didn't know that had stripped the galvanized finish and that that led to such rust. Scary thing was that the front control arm was attached by rust! Luckily no harm to me or the car driving it there.

Also luckily, the engine checked out great with great compression/leakdown numbers. And no stock engine here; K27 turbo, B&B headers, heat, exhaust, new wastegate, etc. Still running a stock intercooler though which I had planned to address as budget allows, along with new tires/wheels and perhaps some upgrade to suspension, strut brace, etc for better handling. Eventually the 2nd gear synchros since they seem to be worn down a bit but it's completely drivable right now although I have to baby that shift from 1st to 2nd.

Overall, still happy with the car and looking forward to getting her back on the road! Here are a few pics:

Old 06-29-2017, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)