View Single Post

Cam Sensor Installation

Thanks for the info on the 964. Still hoping someone has info on the adapters I'm looking for. Meanwhile.,,

Installation of cam sensor

I purchased the Clewett cam sensor and sent the electrical plug to Rasant to be incorporated into my wiring harness.

First step was to remove the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. Fortunately I had done this in the past and the nuts were easy to remove.

Now I have access to remove the engine tin in the back and pull it out.
Next comes the cleaning of all of the gunk.
Now to remove the cam plug. I called Clewett to find the recommended method for pulling it out. They suggested using a small dent puller. Later I found some old threads on how to do this.

I made a small hole about 1/2 inch from one edge. One of the posts in Pelican indicated there was only about 2 mm clearance between the cover and the cam. This is about right. So I ground the tip of the screw a little bit inserted it in the hole and used the weight to hammer until the puller came off. Then I ground the tip more and repeated until the screw in the puller got a good grip and then came out.

The camshaft has two holes in the end and, unfortunately, the way I had timed my camshaft caused one of the holes to be too close to where the bolt head that caused a signal on the sensor would be. After thinking about it for a while, I rotated the housing 120 degrees to a good spot on the cam, drilled and threaded the hole. Made sure the bolt head was the proper distance and buttoned it all up. Of course, the original Clewett instruction to install the sensor in a higher position is better, but I don't think the lower location I ended up with will be a problem.

Pic showing camshaft hole to close to the place where the screw was to be tapped.

Final position was 120 degrees CCW.

The procedure for getting 90 degrees BTDC is outlined here. (Note I did this a while ago but am catching up on the write up.)

MS3 Pro Conversion

Last edited by Dr J; 07-01-2017 at 01:20 AM..
Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)