Thread: starter issue?
View Single Post

I remember dealing with that big nut using a big crescent wrench while on my back under the car.
An oil return tube was in the way of turning the wrench jaws but it's doable. If you have removable oil return tubes you can remove the snap ring from it's groove and compress the tube to remove it so you have more wrenching room.
Best way I've found to compress that type of oil return tube is remove the lower rocker cover and remove the snap ring from it's groove. Then you can compress the oil return tube from inside the cam tower with the handle of some screwdrivers.

If you have one piece oil return tubes obviously they don't compress. If there's no way to turn that nut with that type of return tube in the way take some big channel locks and squish it and carefully bend it so you can pry it out of there.
Then replace it with a two piece compressable oil return tube with the red or green o-rings on the inner tube. Oil the o-ring first so it slides on the inside diameter of the larger half of the oil return tube or it will be almost impossible expanding it by hand with installed cam towers.
Good luck with it.

I've used gasket sealer on the threads of the big nut and the fitting under it to keep oil from seeping out there.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)