View Single Post
Work in Progress

Garage
I found some time to dig some more into this.

I checked for spark, and all six cylinders have spark. I didn't have an extra person to crank it so I videoed it in slow-mo with the iPhone, which worked out pretty well. You can see the #3 spark here. Jump to 0:32 to see the action, sorry forgot to trim the video. The sound is pretty awful so don't have your speakers turned way up!

I also checked for fuel flow to the injectors. I do have fuel getting to the injectors, and it seemed to be fairly even across all cylinders. With how high a pressure is needed to crack the injectors open I thought the fuel would come out of the fuel line with some serious force, but it was more akin to a faucet open about half way. I guess the pressure comes from the narrowing at the injector.

Does anyone have any suggestions for checking the spray pattern and flow out of the injectors. I had a challenging time catching the fuel flow, and I can't quite picture how to get the injectors inside a canister that catches the fuel and allows me to see what is happening.

Also boosted79 suggested checking fuel filters. I assume this means the filter at the base of the gas tank. Is it possible to check the main fuel filter that I just put in the car during the rebuild? I'll have to drain the tank to check the filter on the tank.

I tried to check for air leaks visually. I might have an issue with the intercooler connecting to the intake. The intercooler was a modded 3.0L garrett unit and it may not be fitting tight enough. My only problem with this thesis is that the car shouldn't have run well from the get go, but it was running well with the intercooler on it for a while.

I'm getting a lesson on becoming an actual mechanic and testing and checking things, but damn I want to be getting some driving time in.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)