Thread: Poor idling 930
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
The engine can tolerate a reasonable amount of injector imperfection - just witness the durability of them, before they eventually get replaced. At the point of replacement it is not unusual to have most of them fail any testing process. But injectors that do not atomise properly and dribble when closed will affect the low speed running/starting performance first.
For instance if you found one injector not performing quite like the others as far as spray pattern, it is not likely to be the cause of the problem. Given they have just been replaced, I would be looking elsewhere right now. I can't imagine they get dispatched before they have passed some sort of performance test - opening pressure specs, shut off spec, and spray pattern.
Regards
Alan
While I agree that the injectors are not likely to be his issue, if the fuel head is failing like Fairmans did, and too much fuel flows at startup and low rpm, it would cause his issue and the flow test with the engine off but pumps running would either prove it or rule it out.
Not sure it should be the first thing he tests, but is should be on the list of possible issues. The fact that it seems to clear itself up after 2k rpm is a big clue for me and I would think an electrical issue wouldn't get better at higher rpm, so that's why I'm thinking too much fuel at low rpm.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)