View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
Just such a huge delta in costs. Ebay kits are under a grand, new, with intercooler. New, pieced together kits here can be crazy expensive. I am a few months away from pulling the trigger on this. Doing the homework at this point.

Chris

89 Carerra
Chris,
Good luck and keep us posted.
I have a previous post from 2013 or so, when I started gathering all the parts for my conversion. I have YET to do the conversion, although, for sure, I have 99% of the parts (maybe I have 100%, but there's ALWAYS something overlooked or that breaks and needs to be replaced).

Do this all (gather all possible parts, including such things as clamps, bolts, gaskets, etc.). Aim to get it all done in one or two weekends. Otherwise, you will end up being yet-another-stalled-turbo-conversion-statistic.
I.E. - get it done and out on the road. Worry about updating or improving things LATER -- but get it converted and going as fast as you can! Worry about improved headers, exhaust, sensors, etc., later on.

Mine stalled when my gas tank shed rust debris and clogged the fuel pump, which then burned out.

So, painfully, it has sat in the garage, untouched except to make a move (towed on a trailer) from VA to KY. Meanwhile, other shiny-er objects have interceded, and it sits, and sits, and gnaws occasionally at my conscience!

Wish I lived near Tippy in Austin. I'm sure he'd kick my ass and give me the boost to my enthusiasm to git-er-dun.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)