View Single Post

Porsche Crest Heat Exchanger to Crossover Exhaust Line Gasket Replacement

Hi Folks,

For my stock '88 930 (w/ 56k miles), I found an exhaust leak at the interface/gasket on the driver side (1-2-3) heat exchanger and crossover pipe (i.e, exhaust line). One can easily observe the fumes emerging from the interface/gasket area while the car is idling (note that the cross-over pipe and heat exchanger are in good shape - that is, no significant rust etc.)

I went ahead and purchased the Porsche layer metal gasket (part # 930.111.192.06) and the associated factory bolts (900.074.282.02) and nuts (900.910.097-0C) from the dealership.

I was initially planning on replacing the gasket myself, but I am having second thoughts given the (perhaps) more challenging aspect of performing this work w/o a lift, and also given the potentially expected problems removing the original bolts. My approach is to saturate the area with WD-40 and let it sit overnight before attempting bolt/nut removal.

Can folks that have performed this repair (DIY) comment on things to watch out for and provide some recommendations?

Also, I assume that I will also need to remove the cross-over pipe altogether - which in this case, I should also replace the gasket/bolts/nuts on the other end of the cross-over pipe?

Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and happy Porsche motoring!

Humberto-

Last edited by hcalvani; 09-15-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)