View Single Post

SBK, I will tell you a short story, in case it helps.
I bought my 930 as a road car out of Japan auction. It was destined for the track - but basically in standard form, and ideal - new engine refresh , goes like a rocket etc etc. When it came off the boat I couldn't even get it started and had to send for a trailer. It took me several weeks if not months to get it started. Then the problems really began. I received it around Oct one yr, and planned to be on the track by Xmas - pull all the weight out, fit cage/harness etc and good to go. My previous track beast was an XU1 which went to Aus and I seriously regretted parting with it. Every time I found a problem with the 930, and fixed it, it would uncover another problem - eg engine running, take for drive - clutch clunk, and gearbox synchros. Took about a week full time to get the wiring back to stock - jumped relays, bypassed bits etc. And then all the elec issues surfaced. Never even seen a 930 before this. Engine, gearbox, clutch and elec issues pretty well covered it. Oh, forgot the rust that had been bogged and freshly painted.
So, there was a point after about a year, and 3 engine outs, I still didn't have a running car and still trying to diagnose issues. I wondered how much it would be worth as parts and could I even sell it like it was. Got there in the end - just had the wrong December.
And I could not have done it without these guys on Pelican. They saved my life and my 930 many times over. I doubt I will be selling this one. Wished I had kept the XU1 too - but hey, can't have everything.
Keep going. One day you will forget this bit.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)