View Single Post

I have experience restoring these types of wheels and BBS off road race wheels that are made of aluminum too thin to be DOT compliant.
I also have unpleasant expensive experience with Jim Dorociak...
He sprayed some kind of lousy BS puff can clear coat on them and it did not work. The aluminum quickly corroded under the crappy thin clear he sprayed on and looked like sh_t.
What really pissed me off is he acted like a pathetic prima donna and would not tell me what he sprayed on them.
To strip the crap he sprayed on them off so you can repolish the wheels they have to be completely taken apart and aviation paint remover is needed to get the BS Dorociak sprayed on them off. That was years ago and I hope he's done with ripping people off by now.

Bottom line is you have those shiny polished bare aluminum wheels clear coated professionally with clear urethane aviation or marine enama or best of all have them clear anodized.
They are going to look like crap after 3 weeks of actually driving the car in differing weather because aluminum corrodes and you can't stop it.
Not a garage queen that only gets looked at and polished... I'm talking a car you actually drive anywhere in any weather.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)