View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm missing something, what is the advenatage of an electrically driven scavenge pump as opposed to the mechanically driven pump?
From my experience:
PROS
Oil flow capacity - For my original application (twin journal bearing turbos) - the 930 cam driven pump could not keep up with the oil flow through the turbos at idle and the oil would overflow into the exhaust turbine housing creating a lot of smoke.
Mounting - if you don't have 930 cam shafts, mounting a 930 pump is a little difficult (need to drill the cams).
Ability to scavenge oil after shutdown / before starting - on my set up the electric scavenge pump runs for a few minutes after shutdown to prevent oil build up and smoke on start-up.

CONS
Noisy - you can certainly hear the pump running while driving
Electrical - you need to wire the pump into the electrical system. Although the turbowerx pumps are pretty robust and can run dry, if you leave the ignition on, without the car running the pump will run (naturally you could wire it so that it only runs when the engine is running but that is even more complexity)
Complexity - after 4 years of running the turbowerx pump has been bulletproof. But compared to the cam driven pump there are a lot more things (electric motor, fuses, wiring, relays, timers etc) that can go wrong and ruin your weekend.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)